Our Narrowboat Experience

 

On our narrowboat's maiden voyage


Not all perceived refinements turn out to be positive. Let's just say for starters that our narrowboat experience wasn't ENTIRELY Tickety-Boo!

In our last blog/podcast, Christine and I talked about our escape from London to The Cotswolds. Now that WAS an entirely positive change. A refinement!

When we first started looking for a place in the country shortly after the COVID pandemic hit, I had the bright idea (and this is Tony talking here) that we should also buy a narrowboat.  I was absolutely delighted when Kiki (aka Christine) agreed and, as she always does, threw herself wholeheartedly into BOTH projects - i.e. finding a new home in the country, and purchasing a narrowboat.

The first potential new home she found even had a 120ft canal mooring at the bottom of the garden.  At that time, we’d decided on having a new narrowboat built. Thank goodness we changed our minds about that idea!

Since I was a small boy, I’ve been obsessed with boating. I used to race sailing dinghies and over the decades I’ve been on many canal holidays, both in the UK and across France. 

After my first narrowboat holiday 40-odd years ago, I fell in love with the UK canal system.

Now in my mid-60s, I had the opportunity to buy my own narrowboat.  I was soooo excited!  I glued myself to numerous YouTube channels about narrowboating.  These videos all portrayed an idyllic vision of canal-living. They stoked my excitement even more.

We found our ideal narrowboat which we kept for a year.  Let’s just say, it was an interesting experience, but one we won’t be repeating.

You can hear all about our narrowboat experience on our podcast.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making the Most of a Vanishing Future

We visit Crete and its former leper colony!